Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Six degrees to exasperation #1

So you know of six degrees of separation: the theory that everyone and everything is six or fewer steps away.  So let me present:


Six degrees to exasperation

I’ve decided to provide tiny tidbits of advice for those newbie professors out there.  Not that I’m so wise - just to be clear. 

It is to help you prevent many of the mistakes that I myself have made along the way.  And I’ve made many…

So here is mistake number one:

Don’t take on too much prep your very first semester – if you can avoid it – you may not be given a choice of courses, but if you are take the same prep. 

I know you’re all excited about teaching Rousseau in one class and Aristotle in another and perhaps philosophy and film in yet a third and, god forbid, a fourth prep on cognitive dissonance and Newton…. 

So if they offer you three or even four of the same class – take it – you don’t need to prove anything the first time out. 

Perhaps the same class three or four times a day sounds tedious but by the end of the semester you won’t be sleep deprived and in a big pool of tears…. 

Nobody wants you in a big pool of tears.  Trust me…




No comments:

Post a Comment